Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Astonishing Adventures Profiles: Rosie the Riveter

Welcome back to Astonishing Adventures. I realize I haven't posted on this in... half a year, but nothing has been more on my mind. I will be posting a general update soon, but in the meantime, I thought I would feature my most well-developed female character (not developed like that)...

Rosie the Riveter!

(As usual, the images are an approximation of the character based on available imagery.)

Rosie is an amalgam of characters I've written in the past and, despite her name, is in no way based on my sister, Rose. Rather, she is the personification of the fictional propaganda image that called women into the workplace to replace the men who were off at war. To that end, she also represents the conflict between domesticity and independence.

As we have seen in numerous movies, the independence that women gained from contributing to the work force was taken away upon the end of the war and women were "encouraged" to go back to their home... the way God intended. This led directly to the women's lib movement of the sixties and seventies.

Rosie represents the unconventional woman. She is a first generation Mexican immigrant who came across the border as a child and set up a repair shop with her father. Since he took ill, she has been running it by herself. (Maybe I should give it some deliberately misleading name like "Rios & Sons Auto Shop.")

She first gets into the mystery man career when she discovers the Enigma bleeding in an alley. She patches up his wounds and ever since has been serving as his girl friday. She absolutely adores Charlie (The Enigma) and considers him her mentor. His bravery, wit, style, and intelligence are all things that she admires and wants to embody herself.

Gradually, she works her way into the role of sidekick and begins to backup Charlie on his missions while dressed in a cute chauffeur's outfit with a domino mask. But when Charlie joins the Allied Hero Brigade, a team of mystery men from the Allied nations, the Mechanist invites Rosie along as well.

It is here that Rosie comes into her own and adopts "the Riveter" to her new identity. Also, studying under the Mechanist significantly developed her natural mechanical abilities, so she is developing unique personal skills that will get her out from under the Enigma's shadow... whether she likes it there or not.

One defining aspect about her character is that she is a lesbian. Now, I create a lot of lesbian characters and every time I do, I have to ask myself if this is literary masturbation or if I have a good reason. Do I need a good reason to have a gay character any more than I do a straight one? Why don't I have more gay male characters if it isn't about titillation?

All good questions. (Thank you.) I write more lesbian characters because I identify with them. I've always gotten along really well with lesbians. Strangely well. I may have been a lesbian in a previous life. Contrarily, while I have nothing against gay men in general, I don't seem to get along well with them. I've gotten into arguments with them about the differences between homophobic slang and genuine homophobia. I was even once bullied by a gay guy. We just don't seem to get along well on a personal level. Of course, that could just be my limited experience. Consequently, I feel like I write lesbians well and gay guys not so much. Not that I don't want to try. Once I get to the fifties, I feel like I'm obligated to comment on male homosexuality within the beat culture.

Also, homosexual behavior always rises in single sex environments which is what was happening state side while the men were away. By making Rosie a lesbian, it provides her with a degree of independence from men that (I think) is enhanced by the fact that two great men are her mentors. She isn't a "man-hating dyke," a butch, or even a lipstick lesbian. She is a woman who isn't in conflict with her sex or her own inner strength, but she is also very young with a lot of growing up to do. That's the kind of character I want to write.

Ultimately, Astonishing Adventures is a story about power and responsibility. The men have it and fight over it, but the women are just starting to get it and no one knows what they are going to do with it.

No comments: